Monday 15 November 2010

Southern Cabbage Recipe


Grandma's Southern Cabbage
REQUESTED RECIPE: How I make my cabbage
Note* If you are making this for a special occasion, definitely make it the day before and just reheat it in the microwave. It taste great the day you make it, but once it's had a chance to soak up those flavorful juices. OMG delish!!!

I usually cook cabbage about once or twice a year. I don't know why because I love the stuff, it's healthy and even better, it's cheap!

Wait a minute I know why I don't cook it as often, because it funks up the kitchen! Ughhh, there is just something about the smell of cabbage cooking that I hate. That was until a friend gave me a lil tip:

"Don't boil the cabbage, simmer it!"

Some folks say that if you add in a bit of vinegar or lemon juice while cooking, it will greatly reduce the smell. Hmmm...I'll have to give it a try one day.

My mother always boiled her cabbage from start to finish and so I just automatically did the same thing. Simmering it really does cut down on the smell. Keyword: Cut down. Not get rid of. I can at least tolerate it now.

Here is how I cook my basic cabbage. I love this southern cabbage recipe because it creates tender, yet slightly firm cabbage that is full of flavor, even the juice left in the pot taste good!

This is a very basic (but flavorful) cabbage recipe. If you wanna add a lil spunk to your cabbage throw in some sauteed onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and smoked meat. Yum! 


Watch me make this tasty southern cabbage recipe from start to finish! 


INGREDIENTS:
1 head of cabbage
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt (or season to taste)
1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt (or season to taste)
Fresh black pepper
1 1/2- 2 cups chicken broth (can also use water but chicken broth makes it taste so delish!)

No comments:

Post a Comment