Saturday 16 June 2012

Smoky Chipotle Fried Chicken

Smoky Chipotle Fried Chicken
Smoky Chipotle Fried Chicken
I have had this idea for a while now and was inspired to push it up in my "recipes to complete" list after having enjoyed some succulent , juicy brined poultry last week in our Lemon and Rosemary Brined Roast Turkey. Brining poultry is something you just  must try  if you never have; it adds great seasoning and extra juiciness throughout the meat, making it tender and perfect.

While it works well for roasting, I think it works even better for fried chicken. I have never brined chicken parts for more than a full day but when I unexpectedly had to leave it for a second day I was flabbergasted by the result. I had been wanting to try a very simple smoky spiced fried chicken for a while now, using two of my favorite smoked spices, smoked paprika and chipotle powder, so  I thought this was the perfect opportunity. 

I don't say this lightly at all...this was the best fried chicken that I have ever eaten. 

Smokey Chipotle Fried Chicken
Smokey Chipotle Fried Chicken

It was amazingly moist and juicy. The meat was completely seasoned throughout from the brine and using a tip I saw on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives",  I added some butter to my canola oil to fry the crust to an amazingly perfect crispy texture with just the right amount of smoky spice. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I absolutely know I will make this again and again. This is one recipe you absolutely have to try!

We served this outstanding fried chicken with grilled corn, mashed potatoes, buttermilk biscuits and gravy. Does it get any better than that?  Need a recipe for great Buttermilk Biscuits? Click right here!


I begin by washing:

  • one large chicken, about  3 1/2 to 4 pounds

Cut and trim the chicken into 8 pieces ( 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings and 2 breasts)

Place the chicken in a large plastic container and cover it with the brine mixture. Cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. If you need to add a little more water to completely cover the chicken, that's not a problem.

Tabasco Brine Mixture

 Begin with 2 quarts (liters) of water
  
Add:
    Smokey Chipotle Fried Chicken
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
Stir until the salt and sugar is dissolved, then add:

  • 3 tbsp black peppercorns
  • 8 cloves thinly sliced garlic
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup Tabasco sauce (add more if you like)

After 48 hours, remove the chicken from the brine mixture. Toss it into the flour and spice dredge.|

Flour and Spice Dredge

  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 heaping tbsp smoked paprika
  • 2 heaping tbsp chipotle powder

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until very well combined. Add the brined chicken pieces. Toss well and press the chicken pieces into the flour dredge with your palms to get good contact with the meat. \let stand for ten minutes, then toss again and press down with your palms again. Now it's time to warm up your oil.

In a 12 inch cast iron skillet heat 1 inch canola or corn oil with 1/2 cup real dairy butter until it reaches 35O degrees F. Just below medium heat works well on my stove but use a thermometer to be sure.  A cast iron skillet is the best for fried chicken. Be extra careful to regulate the heat properly of using anything other than cast iron. Even cooking is essential.

Drop the dredged chicken pieces into the hot oil/butter mix and cook for approximately 35- 40 minutes depending on the size of your chicken pieces, turning at least once halfway through the  cooking time. I start with the dark meat pieces and add the breasts about 10-15 minutes into the cooking time because these will cook faster. I always use my meat thermometer to ensure that the largest pieces have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, which is perfect for fried chicken. The chicken should be a beautiful golden brown when it comes out of the oil. Let it rest on a wire rack to drain for 5 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment