Friday 2 October 2015

Hello October




Welcome October. It's probably one of the prettiest months of the year and a time for celebration. October is the month of my birth. I was born on October 21st, my father's birthday. 

My Dad used to say I was the best present that God ever gave him and he loved me so much. Unfortunately, he would never see his little girl grow up. His life ended tragically 7 years later when a drunk driver struck and killed him as he was walking across the street with his arms outstretched to hug me, as he did each day when he got home from work. Pretty traumatic for a little girl right? No worries, God made sure he handpicked the perfect man to come into our lives. I have always called him my Dad and he is my hero and the love of my life.

Welcome Home will be 3 years old this month. I started a simple Facebook page on October 27, 2012 as a way to preserve my memories of my Mom who moved to heaven a few years ago. I wanted to keep her memory alive by creating a safe haven for the recipes she left me as well as all her teachings about life and love and happiness. 

Blogging was just a way for me to write about my most precious memories and at first I shared those feelings and thoughts with no one. However, as I began to remember and write down my wonderful memories of one of the most beautiful women that God ever created, I felt that others might benefit from her teachings too. So, I decided to share with only a few friends. 

I call those first 30 facebook "LIKES" my "Original Welcome Home Guests" and they are all still with me today. Every single one of them have been with me on this long journey. Eventually, that number grew as my page and blog went viral almost overnight. Today there are over half a million followers that apparently enjoy the recipes and my writings about my Mom.

You see my Mom meant everything to me. I loved her with all my heart and I miss her every minute of every day. She believed I could do anything and she was the truest friend I've ever had. I always say that God sent me to the arms of an angel and her arms were always open when I needed a hug. Her heart always understood when I needed a friend. Her gentle eyes were stern when I needed a lesson. Her strength and love guided me and gave me wings to fly. All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my Mom. No one has ever loved me as much as she did, and I will miss her everyday for the rest of my life.

Many of you have asked me what is the one lesson that my Mom taught me that guides me in this life until I meet her again. I can say that it is this quote that she taught me at a very young age and it stays in my heart and in my mind each 
day .... 

"Live in such a way that those you know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you." 

Welcome home my friends. Welcome home. I know that our paths have crossed for a reason.


~Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment