Tuesday 1 June 2010

Chicken and Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy Recipe


My absolute favorite supper growing up was when my Mom made her "chicken with mushroom gravy" and mashed potatoes. She would flour and pan fry the chicken to brown it, then add the chicken to a large pan and pour cream of mushroom soup mixed with milk over it and bake it in the oven until the chicken was fully cooked and the gravy was bubbly. She would serve it with mashed potatoes. This meal was Heaven on a plate in my mind, and still is, the rare times I get to eat it when we visit my parents. I decided I needed to recreate this meal for Sam, using ingredients she can eat, so she can have a memory built around it like I do. This is my version, and my family loves it.

Chicken and Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy Recipe

For the mashed potatoes:

Make baked mashed potatoes using this recipe. It will take about 1-1/2 hours to make the potatoes from beginning to end.

For the mushroom gravy:

Make the mushroom gravy using this recipe. It will take about 25 minutes to make the gravy.

For the chicken:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper

Butterfly the raw chicken breasts so they are not so thick and tenderize them using a fork to prick them. Heat a non-stick skillet, sprayed with cooking spray, to High heat and cook the chicken for about 7 minutes per side or until browned and fully cooked. Salt and pepper to taste.

When all of the components are done, plate the mashed potatoes and a serving of chicken breast, and cover everything with the mushroom gravy. I also serve a green vegetable, like green beans, with this dish on the side. Serves 2 adults (and one small child) with a little mashed potatoes and gravy left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment