Tuesday 1 June 2010

Mushroom Gravy Recipe


I have looked and looked in the stores, and there are no gravy mixes or prepared gravies I can purchase for my family. Everything I have seen has *something* in them either or Sam or I cannot have. So I made up my own mushroom gravy recipe to go with my Chicken and Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy recipe. You could also use vegetable broth in it instead of the chicken broth for a vegan gravy.

Mushroom Gravy Recipe

1 package of whole mushrooms (8 oz.)
Olive oil
2 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth (this is where the salt in the gravy comes from)
2 heaping tbsp unbleached flour (or any thickener you like)
Pepper

Wash, dry, and slice the mushrooms. Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray, heat the skillet to High heat, and add the sliced mushrooms. Let the mushrooms sit without moving them for a couple of minutes to start browning. Drizzle a little olive oil over the mushrooms, pepper to taste, then saute the mushrooms, stirring every couple of minutes until they are all nicely browned. This will take around 15 minutes or so.

While the mushrooms are cooking, in a 2-cup measuring cup, add the broth (I use 2 cups of water and 2 level tsp of Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base- Kosher if I can find it) and the flour/thickener, and use a small whisk to mix in the flour/thickener completely so there are no lumps. When the mushrooms are fully cooked, pour the broth into the skillet (still on High heat) and use a spatula to mix the mushrooms with the broth and scrape the pan. Continue to mix the gravy with the spatula for 2 minutes or so while it boils. Then reduce heat to Low until you are ready to serve the gravy. Makes 2 cups of gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment