Monday 30 July 2012

Chocolate Orange Date Crumbles

Chocolate Orange Date Crumbles


Yes, I know I'm obsessed with chocolate-orange, we've covered that...but more than another excuse to indulge in one of my favorite dessert flavour combinations, this scrumptious square is a great example of how I like to play with a great recipe to create something new. After I recently re-shot and re-posted the photo for Newfoundland's favorite cookie square, the Date Crumble, a  reader wrote to say that she sometimes adds cocoa powder to her crumble to make a chocolate version of date crumbles to I know I had to try that idea but I also decided to really amp up the filling with intense orange flavour. I loved the result  and I know that this version will make it to my Christmas cookie freezer selection this year for sure. 

Chocolate Orange Date Crumbles
First prepare the filling. In a medium saucepan combine and gently boil until thickened (about 10-15 minutes).

18 ounces dates, chopped
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
finely grated zest of one small orange


The filling should be very thick; you will need to watch it carefully and stir constantly in the last few minutes of cooking time. Set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the crumble mixture.

Crumble:

In a large bowl toss together:

2 cups rolled oats (large)
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 2/3 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder

1 cup brown sugar

Using your hands, rub thoroughly through the dry ingredients:

1 ½ cups butter, cut in small cubes.

Divide crumble mixture in half and press half into the bottom of a 9x13 inch greased baking pan. Spread date mixture over the base. Top with remaining crumb mixture, pressing it together in clumps in your hands and then breaking it into small pieces with your fingers. Press down lightly. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.

No comments:

Post a Comment