Friday 11 May 2007

Chicken and Biscuits, Chicken Pot Pie, and Chicken and Dumplings – It’s a Chicken 3-way!

I get LOTS of requests. In fact, I did a post regarding all these requests, and how I try to organize and satisfy them. Recently I received requests for Chicken and Biscuits, Chicken Pot Pie, and Chicken and Dumplings. So, I thought I would kill three birds with one stone (now that’s a pun!), and do all three dishes as one delicious Chicken Biscuits/ Dumplings/ Pot Pie hybrid…or hybird if you prefer.

The base for this “Ménage à Trios au Poulet” is a pretty basic stewed chicken recipe. I used plain water to stew the chicken in the first step, but if you want a richer result, go ahead and use chicken broth. Also, as I mention in the recipe clip, you can pretty much use any vegetables you want. I went with the classic carrot, onion, and celery (mirepoix), plus I had a few mushrooms around which found their way into the pot.

Some of you may be shocked to see me use a store-bought buttermilk biscuit dough. Don’t be. I have no problem with the occasional convenience product, and the Pillsbury Grands are actually a pretty good product. Of course it's better with homemade biscuits, so if you have time go for it. If you want an easier version of this recipe, just make the chicken stew part, baked the biscuits separately and serve together. Now, I don't want to ignore our Chicken and Dumpling fans. You folks already know what to do; that's right, drop that dumpling batter, spoon, by sticky spoon, on to the hot chicken stew and go crazy.



Ingredients:
1 large chicken (about 4-5 pounds)
2 quarts water or broth
1 bay leaf
4 cloves garlic
1 whole clove

3 carrots, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
3 ribs celery, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
6 mushrooms, quartered

2 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tbl herb de Provence
3 tbl fresh tarragon, chopped
2 tbl fresh rosemary, chopped

1 stick butter (4oz)
1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup milk or cream
8 buttermilk biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment