Thursday 19 September 2013

Guest Post: Pulled Pineapple Chicken w/ Cauliflower Tortillas by The Tasty Alternative



I am so thrilled to have Amber from The Tasty Alternative guest posting for The Seasonal REAL Food Blog Series.  Amber's passionate about holistic health, green living and has a wonderful blog filled with delicious, allergy friendly recipes (dairy free, gluten free, cane sugar free, peanut free and SCD friendly).  She's also one of the kindest blogger friends that I have "met" ... she's so compassionate for people and our earth, and that shines through in her work. 

Please make sure to visit The Tasty Alternative to check out Amber's fabulous blog.  And while you're there, make sure to check out some of my favorite recipes: Raw Peppermint PattiesRefreshing Tropical Coconut Ice Cream, Raw Cherry "Cheese" CakeLemon Garlic Gravy, Coconut Mango Spinach Smoothie, and Homemade Jojoba Shea Butter Lotion (for dry skin + eczema).


************


Hello.  It's such an honor to be be guest posting today on Emily's wonderful blog.  I specifically remember when I found Recipes to Nourish.  I came upon Emily's post: Holistic Tips to Keep Your Family Healthy.  The post was so informative and well written, not to mention so inline with my holistic healing philosophy.  I was hooked.  I've since enjoyed her many nourishing and healthy recipes and other informative posts.  So thank you, Emily, for having me and sharing me with your readers today.


Today I am sharing one of my favorite dinners.  This is perfect for those of you out there following a whole food, grain free, dairy free lifestyle.  I don't know about you, but I am always on the hunt for dinner ideas.  My slow cooker is one of my most utilized kitchen appliances.  Being able to prepare something at breakfast or lunchtime that will be ready at 6:00 for dinner is beyond convenient.  And I have to share, my slow cooker really came in handy last week when I was battling a nasty sinus infection and strep throat - I made the most delicious kale chicken soup in my slow cooker that was the most perfect healing meal.  

My pineapple chicken recipe puts a fun, sweet twist on our taquieria night.  And instead of corn tortillas, I turned to my friend, Lauren, for her grain free cauliflower wraps.  I doubled the recipe and have a few slight differences in preparation, make them smaller, and use them as tortillas.  So join me today as I share a dinner recipe that is sure to please...any night of the week.


Pulled Pineapple Chicken w/ Cauliflower Tortillas 

  • 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 can drained pineapple (or fresh if it's in season)
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 cup chopped sweet red or yellow sweet peppers

     Spices
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons garlic granules 
  • 1 teaspoon onion granules 
  • 2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon coconut sugar


    How To:



    1.  Add the chicken to the slow cooker, then add in the onions, pineapple, and peppers.
      
    2.  In a small bowl mix together all the spices and then add to the slow cooker.

    3.  Mix everything together and make sure the onion/pineapple/pepper mixture is both under and on top of the chicken.

    4.  Set slow cooker for 6 hours.

    5.  When finished, use two forks to pull apart the chicken.  Make sure you incorporate all the liquid in the slow cooker with the chicken.  This keeps the chicken nice and moist.
      
    6.  Serve your burritos/tacos with dairy free sour cream or cilantro lime sauce, black beans, fresh avocado, lettuce, tomatoes/salsa, grilled veggies, or fresh cilantro. 
      

    Here are some of my other favorite taquieria inspired recipes:





    ************

    If you haven't already, go connect with Amber on Facebook. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment